Fisherman, critical critics, etc.

Michael Hoover hoov at freenet.tlh.fl.us
Mon Jun 21 18:05:15 PDT 1999

> "...it is possible for me to do one thing today and another tomorrow, to
> hunt in the morning, fish in the afternoon, rear cattle in the evening,
> criticise after dinner, just as I have mind, without ever becoming a
> hunger, fisherman, shepherd or critic. The fixation of social identity,
> this consolidation of what we produce into an objective power above us,
> growing out of control, thwarting our expectations, bringing to naught our
> calculations is one of the chief historical factors up till now."
> In discussions of whether Marx's vision of communism resonated with an
> impractical romanticism, there seems to me to have been inadequate analysis
> of what Marx is getting at in this last sentence. I had been thinking about
> it without much success. There seems to be a critique here of the division
> of labor and the fixed social identities on which it has hitherto depended
> (the caste system seemingly the most extreme version) even as more flexible
> social division of labor throws up.
> rnb

Subjective, or self, alienation, is a persistent theme in Marx's work. Writing in the *1844 Manuscripts* that this condition has assumed the form of capital, he is indicating that it has been created and, therefore, can be acted upon and changed. His commentary on *James Mill* is replete with references to the production of objects that are foreign to the producer. Marx alludes to the concept in the *Holy Family* with the assertion of the 'mass rising against its own deficiency' when it rises against independently existing products. In *Grundrisse*, he refers to the 'divorce between property and labor and in *Capital 3*, he writes of the 'domination of capitalist over worker,' of 'product over producer,' amd of the 'process of alienation' of labor.

Marx's position on objective alienation - the result of human relationsship to nature and division of labor - appears to change over the course of his life. In the *Manuscripts*, he writes of the 'definitive resolution of the antagonism between man and nature,' but in *Capital 3*, he remarks that humans will 'regulate their exchange with nature rationally.' Similarly, the *German Ideology* contends that communism will be characterized by the 'abolition of the division of labor,' but *Capital 1* refers to 'abolition of the old division of labor.'

Marx does not abandon the concept of alienation, however, universal transcendence of the condition appears a lesser possibility. Mandel suggests that Marx adopted a position of 'progressive disalienation' in which self-alienation can be overcome, but objective alienation remains inevitable, though certainly diminished due to rational appropriation of nature and a simplified division of labor. Plus, it would seem less alienating as the coercion of subjective alienation - though abolition of private property and wage-labor and participation is more direct democratic processes - is eliminated, The 'realm of necessity,' inherently alienating remains but becomes the basis for the 'realm of freedom' (of which a shorter work-day is the 'primary requisite' as Marx asserts in *Capital 3*). Subjective alienation disappears with the development of generally satisfied, rational, social beings. Michael Hoover