dissent on Greens

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Jun 22 07:05:29 PDT 1999

[This bounced because it had an attachment. I got this info from Janet Biehl of the Left Green Network in Vermont. She said that one of the founders of the German Greens - whose name escapes me right now - went over to the neo-Nazis during the Gulf War for the reason I cited. I'll try to track down more info.]

Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 10:52:39 +0200 From: Harald Schumann <HSchumann at spiegel.de> Organization: DER SPIEGEL Redaktionsvertretung Berlin X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.05 [de] (Win95; I) MIME-Version: 1.0 To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Subject: Re: Left and Right converge on Economic Nationalism

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Kind of like the German greens who
> chanted "Germany for the Germans, Turkey for the Turks" during the Gulf
> War. Shows how leftish localism can morph into rightish localism. Not
> always, for sure, but enough to worry about.

Sorry to say this, Doug, but thats complete nonsens. The Greens in Germany sometimes are terrible, especially since they are part of the government. But they never supported this right-wing, anti-immigrant position. Chanting "Germany for the Germans..." is typical only for our confused extreme right movement, which fortunately has no serious leader or organisation, at least till now.

Harald