Historical Responsibility

Tue Jun 22 19:10:18 PDT 1999

>> But only the Chinese were used as human detonators, and it was not
>> because they invented gunpowder.
>
>yes. and it is an extremely shameful part of u.s. history. henry, it
>shames me.
>

>Why are you ashamed? You can't possibly be complicit.
>
>mbs

There is a sense in which I benefit from it--surplus extraction from Chinese-born workers building the Central Pacific Railroad--every time I use the Stanford Library. If I did not feel ashamed that my present comfort was purchased with such past brutality, would I still be human?

As Charles Maier put it--I think wisely--in a different context:

...difficult to pin down any notions of collective responsibility.

Admittedly the latter notion is one of the most problematic

concepts for ethics or history. It is hard enough to assign

individual responsibility, which is one of the thorniest

issues, say, for judges, biographers, and others who must

confront personal action. Individual responsibility has

emerged as an especially difficult concept to apply to

agents of bureaucracies or military hierarchies. Obviously

it preoccupied Europeans especially as they debated the

appropriateness of postwar judicial sanctions and purges

against collaborators.... But it is still a somewhat

different issue from that of the degree to which West

Germany as a national society accepts responsibility

for the Nazi past, and for how long it must acknowledge

such responsibility. In what sense does collective

responsibility exist?...

The tentative and brief response, I would suggest for

the moment, is that insofar as a collection of people

wishes to claim existence as a society or a nation, it

must thereby accept existence as a community through time,

hence must acknowledge that acts committed by earlier

agents still bind or burden the contemporary community.

This holds for revolutionary regimes as well.

Insofar as past acts were acknowledged as injurious, this

level of responsibility stipulates that whatever reparation

is still possible must be attemped... Nor does this

responsibility have a time limit. Responsibility for a

burdened past can justifiably become less preoccupying as

other experiences are added to the national legacy. The

remoter descendants of those originally victimized have

a more diluted claim to compensation. But like that half-

life of radioactive material, there is no point at which

responsibility simply goes away.

The situation of Chinese-born workers in the U.S. in the nineteenth century is complicated by the fact that for most immigrants, the experience was lived as a liberation and an empowerment. A U.S. that had banned trans-Pacific immigration in 1849 would have seen no Chinese-born workers crushed by rocks in the Sierra Nevada--but would also have been a greater oppression than in fact took place...

Brad DeLong

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- "Now 'in the long run' this [way of summarizing the quantity theory of money] is probably true.... But this long run is a misleading guide to current affairs. **In the long run** we are all dead. Economists set themselves too easy, too useless a task if in tempestuous seasons they can only tell us that when the storm is long past the ocean is flat again."

--J.M. Keynes -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- J. Bradford De Long; Professor of Economics, U.C. Berkeley; Co-Editor, Journal of Economic Perspectives. Dept. of Economics, U.C. Berkeley, #3880 Berkeley, CA 94720-3880 (510) 643-4027; (925) 283-2709 phones (510) 642-6615; (925) 283-3897 faxes http://econ161.berkeley.edu/ <delong at econ.berkeley.edu>