katie roiphe

Jane G*** janeg555 at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 23 07:43:15 PDT 1999

>From: Chuck Grimes <cgrimes at tsoft.com>
>In any case, if every warm blood creature I tried to mount as a boy
>immediately ran off screaming to the police (neighborhood pets
>included), I'd still be in jail today.
>
>Okay, enough of the confessional. I consider these little sketches
>amusing and absolutely common place, i.e. a social norm.

That was a rather peculiar confessional. I do not consider these little sketches to be at all normal or amusing. If an eleven year old boy can understand that it is not nice to hit someone, no matter how much he wants to smack their teeth in, then he can understand that it is not nice to mount warm blooded creatures without some sign of permission. Of course, many young boys get into fights, and I suppose you consider that harmless as well. There is something to be said for knowing how to fight, but I presume you do not want to encourage a social norm where eleven year olds off each other with guns in the street and chalk it up to boys will be boys? Your idea of what constitutes a social norm, and its relationship to the formation of ethical principles, is singular and open to dispute. It does not appear to apply well in the case of sexual assault, to me, but that's because I think we ought to train boys not to mount people at will.

Jane G.