The GMP and Budweiser

Tom Lehman uswa12 at lorainccc.edu
Thu Jun 24 10:01:02 PDT 1999

Dear P.A.

We are very concerned about the horrible conditions along our border with Mexico and in Mexico in general created by American corporations. For example, General Motors which is the largest private if not public employer in Mexico pays its workers less than the Mexican minimum wage! General Motors is also running a version of the old company store scam---buy on credit get it deducted from your paycheck and GM pockets the profits---which I have been told are at least 2 1/2 times the cost of the goods sold to their Mexican workers.

P.A., there are a lot of reasons why things are the way they are in Mexico. A very small very European oligarchy. Mexico has something like 40 recognized billonaries. This oligarchy with the aid of American corporations and other foreign corporations have caused the very unequal development between the USA and Mexico. There are other factors, religious, racial, and cultural that have not helped the Mexican situation---one only has to explore the role of the Mexican police, quasi-military and the military. This is true of most of Latin America.

There are no envionmental standards in Mexico---and there won't be in this country if we continue to let American corporations continue their exploitation of Mexico.

If we can reverse NAFTA and put enough light on the situation in Mexico---then the Mexicans can take care of things themselves. Mexico is a very rich country and all of the people of Mexico should benefit from its wealth---not just the corporations and the Mexican oligarchy.

Piss on Budweiser,

Tom Lehman