billionaires: Query

Juan Jose Barrios jota at netgate.com.uy
Sat Jun 26 15:18:17 PDT 1999

Carrol Cox wrote:

> Doug Henwood wrote:
>
> > [Hust for the record... Only in America could the founder of a firm that
> > has never made a profit be the 26th richest person in the world!]
>
> <snip>
>
> > 26. Bezos, Jeffrey, United States, 10.1, Amazon.com
>
> A query. If Bezos wanted to realize his wealth (transform it, say, into
> other securities) how much of it could he realize without knocking its
> value way down? If he sells very many of thos shares quickly,
> wouldn't it knock the bottom out of the price?
>
> Just curious. Same question for all those whose wealth is all or mostly
> in the shares of just one company. I imagine Bill Gates by this time
> has a few Billion "diversified."
>
> Carrol

You are right if you think that neither of them "own" that amount of money. But there is a by no means trivial point: they can use those shares as collateral to get loans and diversify their portfolio, that is, without actually selling a single share.

On the other hand, how do you think Microsoft is worth w/out Gates?

Juan

Juan