Americans' concerns about moral decline

Carl Remick cremick at rlmnet.com
Fri Jun 25 06:41:24 PDT 1999

> Passion on the
> left cannot be brought about by ad jingles, but must rise from
> within. Besides, what happens when you run out of catchy jingles?
>
> PR and ad people know how to manipulate and deceive and how to build
> passions, often ersatz ones, based on self-interest. The "science of
> coercion" should be kept as far away from progressive politics as
> possible.
>
> I'm all for being decent to one another, for trying to make life
> enjoyable and fun, but I think the answer to the woes of the left can
> come only through a lot of hard work from determined people.
>
> I grant this sounds grim and humorless ...

There is a Catch-22 here. I agree that if you use PR/advertising techniques to reach people, you will negate what the left is supposed to represent. OTOH, if you serve leftist thought straight up as occurs on this list, you will indeed come across as "grim and humorless." Plus, the hard work of consciousness-raising takes a long time. How do you hold people's interest when they suffer from Political Attention Deficit Syndrome and respond only to soundbites and bumper stickers?

Carl Remick