Marxian vs. bourgeios categories [was Marx on Smith]

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Jun 26 09:20:54 PDT 1999

The original efforts (by Smith or Marx) to develop the categories of productive and unproductive labor were in response to particular stages of class struggle. In Smith's case the enormous expense of the Clergy, Military, various placeholders, etc. In Marx's case the enormous number of domestic servants as well as other categories of labor that very obviously and unambiguously did *not* produce either surplus value or exchange in any way against variable capital. Those categories have become extremly confused since then, as witness the repeated fights among marxists over just who constitutes the "working class" and whether there is such a thing as "the middle class."

It is no longer clear at all that all "service workers" are unproductive, even in the orignial senses of the term, nor that all or even most government workers are. Now I have read (with only marginal understanding) interesting looking articles (I believe in the Review of Radical Political Economy) purporting to assess the actual economy in terms of these categories -- but these same articles (even if correct) if followed into the strategic and tactical realms would by excluding public school teachers, staff (medical and non-medical) of VA hospitals, postal employees, etc. etc from the working class royally fuck up progressive and/or revolutionary politics. So I think I understand part at least of what Doug means when he insists on using the term "political."

Is a depression more or less likely if more of the work force consists of unproductive workers (as listed above)? Does an increase in the number of MacDonald's employees as opposed to janitors in steel plants make a technical difference? (I'm not an economist and I may have my terminology fouled up here.) I would regard workers in fast food workers as production rather than service workers? Is that accurate, and does it make a difference either in description of the economy or in political planning? Why is it production to cut up meat in a meat plant to be cooked at home but service to further process that meet for immediate consumption on the premises? Is the cook a productive worker but the cashier an uproductive worker? Are all these questions either technically or politically productive?

I'll add one question: Is it remotely possible, *today*, to make an accurate division (listing) of workers into productive and unproductive laborers? Of the total work force, how many are productive workers? Can their locations be specified with some accuracy?

Carrol