productive labor [used to be: marxist feminism]

kelley digloria at mindspring.com
Sat Jun 26 10:53:00 PDT 1999

carrol wrote:
>>I do have one positive thing against it: some have used it to define the
>>working class, thus excluding millions from the class. That may be --
>>probably is -- a misuse of it though, for which the theory itself is not
>>responsible.

roger replied:
>I agree. It's a gross misuse. And the difference between what is
>productive labor and who is working class provides a crucial starting point
>for understanding the difficulties in creating that consciousness, based in
>part on the different functions labor performs for capital.

okay. but you're talking non-productive labor [bill gates]. that's a wholly differnt thing from the m-fem category of "reproductive" labor which encompasses service work. obviously surplus value is extracted from a waitress or a dry cleaner and there were service workers in marx's day. i thought non-repro referred to managers and the like? see carrol, this is why i need those books!! now i have to go to the library or wait for someone to flame me!

kelley