Marxian vs. bourgeios categories [was Marx on Smith]

Sun Jun 27 10:47:27 PDT 1999

I find Fabian's message below illuminating indeed. I would want to give a little spin to it--perhaps Fabian will disagree.

I would argue that due to the irrationalities of each capitalist attempting to realize his commodity capital against his rivals in generally stagnant conditions, there is such an increase the ratio of unproductive to productive labor that not only is there ever greater impetus to raise the rate of exploitation towards miserable heights (which then increases the capitalist need for more unproductive supervisory labor), the success in so raising the rate of exploitation, which requires massive reorganisations of the productive system, does not raise the profit sufficiently to spur the rate of accumulation anyway, giving rise to ever higher levels of absolute misery. This general stagnation can be overcome for some time by debt at all levels; single countries like the US can even benefit for some time by world slump conditions. Ultimately however the only real answer capital has is a direct rise in the rate of exploitation as well as declines in the unprod/prod ratio which can be accomplished by wage attacks and rationalisation (i.e., unemployment) in the unprod sectors. This provides the working class with an objective unity in relation to the employing class.

It should not be forgotten that while the prod/unprod distinction may be used for several purposes in the kind of promiscuous realism suggested by Roger, it is not meant in Marx's framework to be used 1. to determine who is a member of the working class, which includes unproductive and mental laborers (see Carchedi) 2. to determine what labor is capitalistically necessary (unprod labor is necessary for the realisation of surplus value and the supervising of the labor force, for example). 3. a determination of which labor we would encourage in a post capitalist society (some presently productive labor would not be continued while much presently unproductive labor would flourish).

All the best, Rakesh