Americans' concerns about moral decline

Carl Remick cremick at rlmnet.com
Mon Jun 28 07:08:53 PDT 1999

> I don't have any magic prescriptions either, just some additions.
>
> I think there is no need to center consciousness-raising around
> specifically intellectual or media approaches. There are more concrete
> things to do than merely read and think. Political, economic and
> intellectual awareness can arise through activity. So my suggestion
> amounts to reviving something like the 'do-it-yourself' craze that
> developed in working class neighborhoods a long time ago. Fixing up
> the house, working on cars, putting together community gardens,
> organizing BBQ's and fishing trips.

There is nothing I would rather believe than to think that community-based DIY activity offers great potential for social transformation. Unfortunately, this sounds like another variation on "think globally, act locally" -- a spur to hyper-localized activism that never coalesces into anything significant on a society-wide basis.

Carl Remick