NYSE boss meets Colombian rebel

Sam Pawlett rsp at uniserve.com
Mon Jun 28 08:39:54 PDT 1999

Doug Henwood wrote:

> [Fred Rosen, editor of NACLA's Report on the Americas, told me the
> other night that the Colombian rebel groups have pretty much lost
> their ideological passions and are just in it out of habit by now.
> Don't know how true that is, but that's what he said.]

Right.This says more about Mr. Rosen and his magazine than it does about FARC or ELN. Two weeks into their Bolivian campaign Che Guevara and Pombo had lost their ideological passion and were in it largely out of habit. The notion that out of habit, one could give up her regular life to lead a nomadic existence in the mountains and jungles under constant attack and threat of death is absurd and presumptuous. NACLA's notion of class stuggle ends where the sidewalk does.

Sam Pawlett