Fed Up

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Tue Jun 29 06:27:10 PDT 1999

> Galbraith & other liberals lack a class struggle understanding of
> monetary policy. (Warning: this evaluation of monetary policy is
> based on a superficial understanding of Marx.)

I'm not sure who said this, but it's been repeated a few times, and it's silly.

Bill Greider has written the seminal, radical critique of the Fed. Jamie Galbraith is a foremost critic. So is Dean Baker, formerly of EPI. EPI has put out a lot of material. And the ADA has had resolutions denouncing the Fed. For many radicals, I would suggest, monetary policy is barely on the radar screen. I raised the issue on the Labor Party list a few years ago and there was a big fight about it (i.e., how important it is).

If you puff yourself up too much, you'll pop.

mbs