Marx and Productivity

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Tue Jun 29 06:27:19 PDT 1999

I'm no marxist, and I don't know much about productivity, but those who allege an understatement of productivity growth by mainstream econs should know that understated productivity means over-stated inflation, and the latter means smaller CPI adjustments to a number of benefit programs (and also in negotiated union contracts).

Now, you could be right, but there are a lot of folks with a malignant, vested interest in the outcome of this debate.

Of course, I'm not questioning anyone's motives. Just a friendly, cautionary note.

mbs