Bud

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Jun 29 06:50:35 PDT 1999

[This bounced because it had an attachment.]

Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 07:59:28 -0400 From: Tom Lehman <uswa12 at Lorainccc.edu>

For those of you who enjoy pr and spin here is how Budweiser is handling their Mexican bottle business.

Tom Lehman

From: Bud Central <BudCentral at Anheuser-Busch.com> To: "'uswa12 at lorainccc.edu'" <uswa12 at lorainccc.edu> Subject: RE: Bud Email 174-000043 Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 14:03:13 -0500

Thank you for taking the time to email Anheuser-Busch and share your comments and concerns.

Due to the increased popularity of bottled beer, our company recently experienced a problem securing adequate supplies of bottles for our Los Angeles brewery. To meet our demand, we have had to ship in bottles from as far away as Florida and New York. This then adds millions of dollars to our costs.

Please understand that we are not in the bottle making business and we must rely on our U.S. suppliers to help us solve this problem. When asked, only one supplier, Anchor Glass, responded. They proposed supplying a quantity of bottles from a Mexicali facility. With more than 95% of our bottles made in the United States, Anheuser-Busch is still by far the largest customer for United States bottle factories and we plan to keep it that way. We will once again buy more American made bottles than anyone else in 1999 and we will buy more American bottles in 1999 than we did in 1998.

It is important to understand that due to rigid Environmental Pollution Controls established in September of 1996, all glass manufacturing facilities in Southern California were shut down resulting in Anheuser-Busch having to look to other glass suppliers. Purchasing this high quality, low cost product for our Los Angeles brewery gives us a good cost which keeps the price of beer down for our consumers.

Additionally, NAFTA (North American Free Trade Agreement) was put in place to create free trade across the borders to Mexico and Canada. The United States government and congress voted in NAFTA in 1988. This agreement states that American businesses should do business across borders with companies in Mexico and Canada. This is exactly what Anheuser-Busch is doing!

Thank you.