Pacifica's guards

t byfield tbyfield at panix.com
Tue Jun 29 21:45:21 PDT 1999

> From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
> Subject: Re: Pacifica's guards

<...>
> >I hear a couple of the guards used to work for the CIA. Any truth to this?
>
> People are speculating that but no one has offered any evidence. The
> freepacifica list is a fever swamp of speculation.

<...>

i'm not a big fan of The Company, but these kinds of allegations read a whole lot more like heresiology than anything worth think- ing about, let alone a coherent oppositional politics--unless of course there's some new kind of holy water we can sprinkle over people 'who used to work for the CIA' to exorcise the villainous taint. which would you prefer? (1) everyone 'who used to work for the CIA' were forever banished from civil society? or (2) a few of them turn coat and spill the beans on the former activities? it's a pretty simple question, and people would do well to let their answer guide their attitude toward 'rumors' like this.

cheers, t