A Square Peg into a Round Hole

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Jun 30 09:29:34 PDT 1999

Carl Remick wrote:

>I've followed Prince Charles' opposition to GM food with interest.

It's weird to see people using this dim reactionary as an authority figure. Barry Commoner, who made his scientific name by dethroning the fundamental dogma of molecular biology (that, following a model of the cell based on the capitalist factory, influence only went from gene to protein synthesis; Commoner argued instead that the process was very complex, with the cellular environment influencing gene expression - or so it was explained to me once by a Marxist biologist), is now turning his attention, at age 81, to genetic engineering. He's convinced that while you can't trust Monsanto, a lot of its critics don't know what they're talking about either.

Doug