zizek review

Sam Pawlett rsp at uniserve.com
Wed Jun 30 15:51:37 PDT 1999

Jim heartfield wrote:

> I wrote this review of Zizek's book for LM magazine
> ---------
> The Spectre Haunting the West
>
> James Heartfield signs up to a manifesto of assertive subjectivity, or
> would do if it were one
>
> The Ticklish Subject: The Absent Centre of Political Ontology, Slavoj
> Zizek, Verso, £??.??

James, I'm curious,what exactally is the Cartesian subject? The subject as theorized by Descartes? I start thinking about straw men when concepts are discussed without specific examples.

The talk about risk and rational choice assumes free will. And what about the old Tory Hume's argument that subjectivity is nothing but a "bundle of perceptions"?

Sam Pawlett