Kelley on the Middle Class

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Jun 30 20:15:47 PDT 1999

Kelley, thanks for the long reply. I don't have time or energy to respond in equal detail now. I will mention that I was objecting to the term "middle class" (and to attempts to base class on consciousness) long before anyone had dreamt of such a thing as an internet. Consciousness such as you describe is, granted, an important object of study -- but it is also necessary to keep that separate from an understanding of those forces that cut across changes within a given social system -- in other words, I have not yet read any argument that leads me to consider class in other terms than those of relations of production. It seems as though a vocabulary could be developed that would satisfy all the various needs without creating confusion, as I believe the term "middle class" always does.

Perhaps some other day I can continue this.

Carrol