William Vickrey & "Nobel prize" in economics

James Wilson James_Wilson at ridley.on.ca
Mon Mar 1 06:37:59 PST 1999

Since Marta mentioned his name, those interested in reading more about 1996's Nobel-prize winning economist William Vickrey should check out "The Cult of Impotence: Selling the Myth of Powerlessness in the Global Economy" by Linda McQuaig (Viking, Toronto, 1998) Vickrey seems to have been a pretty good guy if Keynesianism is your cup of tea. Warning to US readers that most of the McQuaig book is devoted to our fight in Canada against Friedmanite policies such as NAIRU, but the first chapter is mostly about Vickrey and how unfortunate it was that he died before he could use his late-won Nobel fame to really mount his soapbox to rail against today's high priests of economics.

BTW, I have it from a reliable source that the "Nobel Prize" for economics was actually (and fairly recently) set up by a bunch of Swedish banks in order to "capitalize" on the prestige of the "real" Nobel prizes...can anyone confirm or deny this?

JW