Cynical & Ironic Detachment (was Re: Uh huh...)

Michael Hoover hoov at freenet.tlh.fl.us
Mon Mar 1 14:46:57 PST 1999

> irony is a bad faith of educated workers who 'know better.'
> Yoshie

Mark Dery writes in his new book _The Pyrotechnic Sanitarium_ (p. 58):

'irony is our birthright: the knowing quotes with which we frame our hit movie slogans and advertising buzz phrases ...Irony may be a 'leaky condom' as a defense against the advertising virus... but it's the only way the generations raised on TV know of preventing themselves from being sucked, Poltergeist-like, into the vast wasteland on the other side of the screen.'

towards a marxist vegetarianism, Michael Hoover