Cynical & Ironic Detachment (was Re: Uh huh...)

Catherine Driscoll cdriscol at arts.adelaide.edu.au
Mon Mar 1 15:33:57 PST 1999

Yoshie wrote in response to Peter

>Zizek also has a great line on the problem of irony and cynicism. In a
>nutshell, ideology doesn't simply work by making us blind to what's really
>going on; irony and cynicism allow us to keep on doing what we are doing
>even when we _know_ that what we are doing is not in our interest. Or
>rather, our 'knowledge'--our ability to 'see through' capital & the state's
>subterfuge--makes us feel like we are not caught up in ideology, while in
>reality we continue the business as usual, acting in accordance with
>capital & the state's requirements, that is to say, _ideologically_. In
>other words, irony is a bad faith of educated workers who 'know better.'

I only have a few minutes but I wanted to respond to this. This is not the only way I think Zizek can be read. I also think his account is also insightful for thinking about how people continue to live their lives -- I don't just mean in the midst of injustices they can't do much to change (not everyone who should be able to get into my university classes can -- I know but) but also by taking pleasure in things they are perfectly capable of recognising are false or in 'bad faith' (Buffy and racism -- I know but). That is, irony is also the pleasure of comunication.

Catherine