[Fwd: Query about God]

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon Mar 1 16:54:36 PST 1999

Carrol wrote:
>I suspect the following query from milton-l can be better
>answered by secularists than religionists -- i.e. that the "god"
>in the quoted statement is more metaphorical than literal, and
>the author is talking about strictly secular concerns.
<snip>
>>Can anyone give me the context and original of "God is in the details,"
>>please?
>>
>>Roy Flannagan

I don't know if the following is true, but the attribution to Flaubert sounds plausible.

***(1) "God is in the details."

It seems generally accepted that this was something said by the German-born architect Ludwig Mies van der Rohe (1886-1969) although almost certainly it was not invented by him. His obituary in The New York Times (1969) attributed the saying to him but it also appears to have been a favourite of the German art historian Aby Warburg (though E.M. Gombrich, his biographer, is not certain that it originated with him). In the form Le bon Dieu est dans le détail, it has also been attributed to Gustave Flaubert (1821-80). Subsequently, there has arisen the saying `The devil is in the detail' which has been described as a maxim of the German pop musician, Blixa Bargeld. He probably did not invent it himself as it is mentioned in Lutz Röhrich's Lexikon der sprichwörtlichen Redensarten (1994) - as `Der Teufel steckt im Detail'.*** (from http://www1c.btwebworld.com/quote-unquote/p0000063.htm)

Yoshie