in the news

MScoleman at aol.com MScoleman at aol.com
Mon Mar 1 19:44:51 PST 1999

In a message dated 99-03-01 12:06:07 EST, Michael Perelman writes:

<< The discussion between Marta and Yoshi indicates that the attendants look

down upon the disabled while the disabled look down upon the lower class

attendants. We might have a problem here.

I think this is right on. It sounds to me like two very oppressed groups aiming their fire at each other instead of uniting to improve both their lots. I fail to see why receiving job protection and benefits would hurt the disabled being cared for. At the same time, decent pay and benefits would undoubtedly attract higher quality job applicants. In return, it seems to me the disabled should be able to demand that their care givers are adequately trained and sensitized to special needs, that training including getting rid of discriminatory attitudes on the part of the care givers. maggie coleman mscoleman at aol.com