Buchanan, sole voice against free trade?

Tom Waters twaters at usit.net
Tue Mar 2 09:47:09 PST 1999

On Tue, 2 Mar 1999, Doug Henwood wrote:

> Max, has EPI or the AFL-CIO done any polling on free trade? The anti-free
> trade position just doesn't seem like a political winner. And the few polls
> I've seen show a majority of the U.S. public approving of NAFTA. With 80%
> of the U.S. labor force employed in services, and so largely immune to
> international competition, does the anti-free-trade line resonate with the
> masses as much as it does with the UAW?

There is plenty of anti-free trade feeling in East Tennessee, where factories are closing all the time. We just lost two more Levi plants. I don't know if there is anti-free trade majority, but it is a good issue to mobilize a militant minority.

Tom

Thomas Waters twaters at usit.net 1021 East Oak Hill Avenue, Knoxville TN 37917 But this wall is not real. How can it be real? It's only made of concrete and barbed wire.