EPI, Max and Free Trade

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Tue Mar 2 12:19:31 PST 1999

> While free trade can be awful for the reasons you
> name, it strikes me that most of the legislation offered as
"free trade"
> bills have very little to do with free trade. . . .

This was well-taken. You could see 'takings' legislation as a type of deregulation. In both cases, democratic prerogatives are reclassified as "rights" and vested in property owners.

Alternatively, if free trade on the whole is viewed in this vein, it is not inconsistent for really- existing "free trade" to entail explicit subsidies and support for narrow corporate interests.

mbs