[Fwd: Query about God]

J. Barkley Rosser, Jr. rosserjb at jmu.edu
Tue Mar 2 12:38:31 PST 1999

Apologies to the masses for my incipient overquota flow:

But, another interpretation is that Satan is the radical egalitarian attempting to overthrow the hierarchy of God above all else (including genderneutral Man). After all, Satan brought Man knowledge and the Fall of Man made that pathetic being a "god" trying to rule God's universe. Lots of people see Milton's Satan as the Promethean Hero.

Of course the other view, also not Coxian, is that Satan wishes to replace God and likes hierarchy. A monarchist who wishes to replace the current monarch with himself. This would certainly seem to fit Melkor/Morgoth in his rebellion against Eru/Iluvatar in Tolkien more than either of the other interpretations. Barkley Rosser -----Original Message----- From: Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Date: Tuesday, March 02, 1999 1:56 PM Subject: Re: [Fwd: Query about God]