Voting in U.S. Elections

Apsken at aol.com Apsken at aol.com
Tue Mar 2 12:36:53 PST 1999

In 1964 I initiated a "Vote NO for President!" campaign, with buttons and stickers, the latter silkscreened by an IWW shop in Chicago. These said, for example, "NO President should . . . wage war against Vietnam. Vote against Johnson and Goldwater. Write in NO for President." They all followed the "NO President should . . . [Democrat/Republican atrocity]" format. These were popular conversation pieces among my fellow workers, and people on the Illinois Central commuter trains to and from work would frequently ask for the buttons and put them on. Unfortunately at the time SDS was still in its tepid "Part of the way with LBJ phase," so the only enthusiastic participants were the Wobblies and Surrealists.

Ken Lawrence