Buchanan, sole voice against free trade?

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Mar 2 17:20:56 PST 1999

Henry C.K. Liu wrote:
>This type of argument went on also in 1830 in British politics when the
>cronservatives argued against British imperialism and British "progressives"
>pushed for government support of privat British capital overseas.

I almost expected you to bring this (or an example of this nature) up. An objection to a reactionary is identical to support for liberal imperialism?

>I have been against free trade way before Buccanan entered politics. He
>switched his positon (under Nixon, he was pro free trade), not me. Just
>because Buchanan likes claean air, should all progressives embrace air
>pollution.
>What the world needs is more US isolationist policies, regardless who is
>promoting it domestically. If it comes from reactionaries, so be it.
>If the US stops trading with Asia, particualrly Japan and China, it would be
>very good for Asia.

Well, you don't expect Buchanan to be serious about what you call his 'isolationism,' do you? Which American politician today, liberal or conservative or whatever, would ever seriously implement 'isolationist policies'? They only talk the talk. The only thing we'll get out of Buchanan or his likes is lots of racist hot air.

>A "possibility of collapse--at the heart of imperialism" brought about by free
>trade? Don't be naive.

Who said a collapse will be brought about by 'free trade'? Anyway, you don't worry about a rise of right-wing populism in America at a time the world's going through deflation, which may eventually reach here. Very butch of you!

Yoshie