Horace Tapscott on WKCR in NY

Sam Pawlett epawlett at uniserve.com
Tue Mar 2 22:41:21 PST 1999

Michael Pollak wrote:

> WKCR is doing a memorial broadcast on Horace Tapscott today until 9pm.
> Good stuff, this Pan African Arkestra. (WKCR is 89.9 FM)
>
> Michael.

The following has nothing to do with left business observing but...

Thanks to Alex for forwarding the news about Tapscott. I would also note that Jaki Byard, Mingus's long time pianist and arranger (he did the arrangements on 'Black Saint and the Sinner Lady') died about 2 weeks ago. He was murdered at his home in NYC-a single gunshot to the head no weapon found or forced entry.The NYPD blue are still investigating. He was 76 and still musically active.Maybe NewYorkers have more information. I was fortunate enough see Tapscott and Byard a few times. Last time Byard came to Vancouver, he came as a sideman. After each of his solos we all got up and cheered wildly. He soon got the idea and began giving longer rip-roaring solos. A great evening. Check out Byard's solo on 'Take the A Train' on Mingus at Monterey.

Sam