Buchanan and the Balkans

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Mar 3 14:22:17 PST 1999

Doug wrote:
>>The only thing that's right about Buchanan was his position on Bosnia.
>
>Is there a Nazi angle to it?

Not that I know of. If Buchanan wanted to support Nazis in the Balkans, he had better push for an US/NATO intervention there.

Unfortunately, the Balkans (along with Heiti, Somalia, & Rewanda) confused _lots_ of leftists. Those who voiced oppositions to the propaganda that promoted the break-up of Yugoslavia and the expansion of NATO from the beginning were a rather odd assortment of people: Living Marxism, die-hard pacifist religious lefties, Buchanan and some other conservatives, some (but_by no means_ all) marxists, etc. Lots of 'progressives' (including, alas, many feminists) went for 'Serbs are evil rapist ethnic cleansers' sentiments & arguments. Unlike Henry, I don't consider 'delightful' the spectacle of right-wingers taking a correct position of anti-intervention while self-identified lefties taking an opposit tack.

Yoshie