Buchanan, sole voice against free trade?

Stephen E Philion philion at hawaii.edu
Wed Mar 3 14:59:39 PST 1999

On Wed, 3 Mar 1999, Henry C.K. Liu wrote:

> The different between non-Americans and Americans is that the former never bought
> into the myth that America is a demcractic, progressive, free or just society. So
> when Chomsky punctures the myth from time to time, only Americans are surprised.
> Such revelation generally elicites nothing more than a yawn from non-Americans.

Gosh, how I wish this were true Henry. You should give talks to students at Peking University, or just about anywhere in China for that matter. They are generally amazed to hear that America is far less democratic or just than what they have come to believe, not only from American movies, but from many of their teachers as well. When Chomsky gives talks in the States, btw, he is fond of noting that not all Americans are suprised to hear that America is not the baastion of progressive freedom. In fact, he claims that only better to do an d more 'educated' audiences struggle with the obvious. Class tends to better indicate how people receive radical ideas about the distribution of surpluses than one's "Americaness" or "Non-Americaness"...

Steve