Guthrie to Maggie and Max

Carl Remick cremick at rlmnet.com
Fri Mar 5 08:21:58 PST 1999

> I would require executions to be public and
> televised, so the public could see what they
> were doing, rather than it being hidden away.
> Also, I don't go for this lame injection
> stuff; hanging or electrocution would be
> better. (My understanding is that firing
> squad and guillotine are actually pretty
> humane since death is so sudden.)

I'm not quite sure what you're driving at here, Max. History does not support the idea that public executions have any kind of edifying effect. Quite the reverse -- such executions contribute to debasement of moral sensibility; they are treated as mere entertainment.

>Is it wrong as matter of principle,

Capital punishment is wrong as a matter of principle.

Carl Remick