race & class

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Mar 7 08:19:55 PST 1999

>From an article in today's New York Times on the "black upper class":

<quote> "There are no black Rockefellers, Vanderbilts or Kennedys, families who have sustained great wealth for generations," said Sam Fulwood III, a Los Angeles Times reporter who writes on race relations and is the author of "Waking From the Dream: My Life in the Black Middle Class" (Anchor, 1996). "Members of the Boule, the Links, and Jack and Jill represent such a small piece of black America, they are insignificant. It may be interesting but no more interesting than the way rare flowers are interesting."

He added, "If blacks understand our experience in this country, then they don't need to be validated by some artificial construct like class." </quote>

Does that imply that race isn't an artificial construct?

Doug