Hey Paul? (Pomo Ground Clearing)

Doyle Saylor djsaylor at primenet.com
Sun Mar 7 17:03:13 PST 1999

Hello everyone,

DiGloria writes: firstly, i wasn't intentionally obscuring my 'true' identity...

Doyle What you call your self is your business. Your reasons for calling your return address or nickname are yours too. Call yourself what you want. In that way it is an element of you that I find interesting. But since I didn't know why you were doing this, I did what I did. I can understand you don't want to be harassed by someone. I personally try to respect what someone calls themselves, and generally demand the same of others, so I have no problem with you going through various transformations. The joy I take in following your changes is that you are interesting to me. Not in hurting you needlessly.

DiGloria: 2. why is it necessary for you or paul or anyone else to 'know' the identity behind the 'from name'? does this make a difference as to how you

or paul or anyone else responds? why? doesn't 'digloria' deserve a reasonable response regardless of 'who' that person is? ...

Doyle Sure it makes a difference. If you were someone I had no history with your words to me would be pretty different seeming. If every time you popped up with a new name, and I didn't know you didn't want me to "name" you, I would endlessly repeat the same mistake with you. I know you don't want me to "name" you, but someone else might not care and enjoy that I knew them well enough to spot their disguise. I also get confused. I thought k Mickey was you for awhile. The two of you seem somehow alike. But finally I realized k Mickey is not you. You aren't identical to everyone, though I think you write for Max Sawicky on the side. So treating you just like everyone else is sort of ignoring the fact I like you, and some people I don't. For instance.

DiGloria

puh-lease. of course someone without a high school education is going to have a hard time reading them. but hey you could have taken my recommendations as an indication that i thought you perfectly capable of reading them and understanding them.

pls unpack the moral entrepreneurship that you've engaged in above.

and while we're at it, why don't we just discount academic work because it often requires more than a ninth grade education. and pls don't go on about high school drop outs. my sister dropped out in the ninth grade. honestly, dismissing work because it is bound by the language of a discipline or might require some formal edcuation or might even require some familiarity with the enduring issues that characterize a discipline is a thoroughly ridiculous claim to make. surely were i to pick up a nueroscience text i'm going to be lost. that doesn't mean that what neuroscience has to say is unimportant and to be dismissed out of hand because i don't understand it. what it means is that i have to do more work.

Doyle As my friend Leon is wont to say, you high hatted me. You took on superior airs to condescend to tell me what my reading ought to include for this week. I just thought I would grab your nose and give it a good twist and let you know I am just as good as you are any day of this week.

DiGloria completely irrelevant, of course, but as i recall you weren't attacked. you and frogjake engaged in a discussion of depression and medication. it was interesting convo that i lurked on. however, someone who suffers from depression and has taken medication for it all his life asked you to engage in more critical self-reflection about depression as a biological/genetic disorder, about medicalization and psychologizing depression and so forth. and then someone flamed you and frogjake for going on at length about this topic uncritically and sharing stories of depression and drugs. she told you guys to take it to alt.soc.depression or soemthing like that. personally i thought that was uncalled for. but that you consider 'bad' flammage different from the way 'lbo' operates when newcomers or lurkers ask questions that indicate a lack of understanding of a marxist/leftist position is really quite astounding.

Doyle Ok your version of Bad is the right version. So? I still didn't feel like I belonged there. I like the green hills of Oakland. You like the East Coast. I like whiskey and Sun on the side walk. You like the Madonna of the Bank building in some downtown Florida paradisio. So shoot me. regards, Doyle