teaching social inequality / income

J. Barkley Rosser, Jr. rosserjb at jmu.edu
Mon Mar 8 15:10:18 PST 1999

More overquota, but...

Whooooops!!!

I have not seen the Nation article or Doug's new lbo. But the Smeeding Challenge article does NOT claim that the "Soviet Union" is more unequal than the US. It is Russia that is according to him, the Luxemburg people, and a whole bunch of other sources including GOSKOMSTAT in Russia itself. Some of the other former Soviet republics have maintained considerably high levels of equality, most notably Belarus.

For those not there, a thread on this stuff is now sewing on pen-l. The incredibly divergent performance of the various transition economies with respect to income distribution is one of the most striking phenomena going on right now, with a place like Slovakia having been one of the most equal on earth and with hardly any change in income distribution at all. There is a lot going on here. Barkley Rosser -----Original Message----- From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Cc: HUTCHR at gbms01.uwgb.edu <HUTCHR at gbms01.uwgb.edu> Date: Monday, March 08, 1999 5:25 PM Subject: Re: teaching social inequality / income