Steinem on CIA

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Mar 8 21:03:43 PST 1999

Is this quote common knowledge, or has it reached the status of arcana?

"In my experience, the Agency was completely different from its image. It was liberal, non-violent, and honorable. I found the C.I.A. my best journalistic training ground because the one instruction one receives from them is to be accurate, whereas publications tell you to find an angle [audience laughed]."

- Gloria Steinem, Washington Post, December 3, 1967 (quoted by The Redstockings)

Doug