Executive Compensation

Carl Remick cremick at rlmnet.com
Tue Mar 9 07:08:20 PST 1999

> Citigroup sent a letter to shareholder that was reported in
> the NY Times
> that the newly merged company paid its co-chairmen, Sanford Weill and
> John Reed, each over $26 million last year while operating
> earnings fell
> 27%, and has announced thousands of job cuts and layoffs of
> lower level
> employees.

I liked this comment in today's NY Times:

"Analysts were surprised at how lushly the executives were compensated given the lack of success Citigroup had managing the global financial turmoil that battered many companies last year.

"'The two of them [Weill and Reed] appear to be sharing the compensation of about five CEOs because I think you could hire very good executives to run these companies for about $10 million,' said Graef Crystal, a compensation expert and publisher of The Crystal Report, a newsletter. 'You clearly don't want to extend this policy too far down in the organization or they'd be declaring Chapter 11.'...

"'John Reed was one of my minor heroes because he never used to take huge salaries,' Crystal said. 'The minute Sandy Weill turned up, John Reed started turning G-R-E-E-D positive. So much for synergy.'"

Carl Remick