Re Work to be done: culture/econ

Maureen Therese Anderson manders at midway.uchicago.edu
Tue Mar 9 08:50:13 PST 1999

Jayson wrote:

>to be honest, I'm not sure how
>critically (and historically, practically, in terms of always trying to
>inform practice by certain theory and principles) productive the which came
>first chicken/egg? question is. You seem to be aware of that seminal
>British cultural studies debate (Stuart Hall: "Two Paradigms) over
>culturalism and economic structuralism, base/superstructure.

Actually no, I'm not familiar with the debate as percolated through Stuart Hall et.al. How does he erases the slash? Presumably no one wants to see economics as operating on a plane utterly divorced from the meaning-realm. (No one around here, I mean.) To dissolve the dualism, you either make one more determining of the other (cf. your chicken/egg), or you imagine some creature shaped neither exactly like chicken nor egg. Which of the these would you say SH does?

Maureen