Graham on secrecy

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Mar 9 10:02:16 PST 1999

[Speaking of the CIA & the media, this just came into my inbox. Graham was an early investor in Ms.]

"We live in a dirty and dangerous world. There are some things the general public does not need to know and shouldn't. I believe democracy flourishes when the government can take legitimate steps to keep its secrets and when the press can decide whether to print what it knows."

- Washington Post owner Katharine Graham said in a 1988 speech to CIA officials at the agency's headquarters in Langley, Virginia