Moral Absolutism

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Mar 9 12:12:17 PST 1999

Carl Remick wrote:

> >the proposition (true in itself and necessary for the
> > maintenance of solidarity with oppressed peoples) that sometimes
> > good results can be obtained by killing people.
>
> I see that as a slippery-slope position, Carrol. You can just as easily
> use it to express solidarity with the CIA.

Of course. Most interesting propositions are. And I said "necessary" not "sufficient," and "sometimes," which does imply some exercise of judgment, does it not?

The point about solidarity ought to be fairly clear without dotting i's and crossing t's at length. If I say "killing is *always* wrong, then I am condemning all liberation struggles. If I say killing is sometimes o.k., that establishes no solidarity with anyone, in itself, it just leaves the door open.

You are quibbling, and this post ought to count as one of your three for the day, not mine.

Carrol