Steinem, the CIA, and Death Penalty (was Re: Politics ofCrime...)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Mar 10 08:38:33 PST 1999

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> Well, both of us know that lots of political activists have been executed
> ostensibly not because of their politics but with a charge that they
> committed a murder or something like that. Like Joe Hill, for instance.

Yoshie doesn't understand that the United States, uniquely among all nations, has never had political prisoners. Ask any States Attorney or U.S. Attorney. Ask any editor of any metropolitan newspaper. Ask any writer of high-school history textbooks. We only have thugs and other criminal types in our jails and penitentiaries and death cells. There is no doubt in the U.S. that laws are always made in the interests of the people and that Judges, prosecuting attorneys, and police have only those interests at heart. And of course, any minor aberrations can be easily corrected if only the stupid people would elect only Democrats.

Carrol