technology (Re: Horowitz's center)

Carl Remick cremick at rlmnet.com
Wed Mar 10 12:28:49 PST 1999

> The use of technology is always
> determined by social relations, never the other way around.

Then why are the values and customs of traditional societies typically so quickly obliterated when these societies come into contact with advanced technologies, even if there is substantial resistance to such cultural pollution?

> Marxists (or perhaps one should say "Marxists") who adhere to some
> form of technological determinism usually are at heart
> believers in the
> 19th century doctrine of inevitable Progress (with a capital
> P).

I have great respect for Marx. I also think that technological advance has immense sway over history but too often does not contribute anything that could be construed as progress.

Carl Remick