Polanyi's great transformation

Fellows, Jeffrey jmf9 at cdc.gov
Thu Mar 11 06:14:13 PST 1999

Okay, okay, may be my own experience teaching with the book was not the norm and I shouldn't give up on it so easily. I do think it's a lovely book and one of my favorites. The consensus among my (largely rich, white, temporary liberal) students was that Polanyi's writing style was a barrier.

Jeff

-----Original Message----- From: Adam Stevens [mailto:a_ste at uclink4.berkeley.edu] Sent: Thursday, March 11, 1999 5:05 AM To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Subject: Re: Polanyi's great transformation

At 01:07 PM 3/10/99 -0800, you wrote:
>Re
>>>_The Great
>>>Transformation_ is a magnificent book. But, like many, I have no doubt
>>>that it can be used for all kinds of purposes.
>>
>>Except teaching economics to American undergrad students.
>>

>Yes it can. I use it. Dani Rodrik uses it...
>

>Brad DeLong>

I'm an undergrad and I read most of it just last semester in fact -- although for a history class, not an econ course.