Polanyi

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Mar 11 07:31:57 PST 1999

A couple of people have written me offlist to defend Polanyi's Great Transformation against my apparent criticism of it. I wasn't criticizing the book at all - I liked it a lot. I'm concerned more about the uses it's being put to today - it's being appropriated by a bunch of communitarians and conservatives in a rather nostalgic fashion to criticize the "excesses" of capitalism. The critique avoids all the issues that a reading of, oh say Marx, couldn't avoid - issues like class power and the control over investment.

Doug