[Fwd: Death Penalty]

J Cullen reporter at eden.com
Thu Mar 11 09:32:20 PST 1999

Dear Tom,

Yeah, I run into a lot of Gabby Hays-type characters. Some days I feel like a Gabby Hays-type character. But at least I've stayed out of prison. So far ...

The apparent groundswell for Bush--who accomplished little in his first term as governor and has been rewarded with adulation for it--simply dumbfounds me. Sort of like the groundswell for Clinton in 1992, which seemed to come out of nowhere. At least Clinton didn't have a famous daddy (although he did have some well-heeled sugardaddies) but like Bush and Taft he found you don't go wrong politically by filling up prisons and greasing the machinery of death. But like your man Fisher found out, it's awful hard to get to the right of Republicans on law and order; if the voters are looking for fascists they'll look for the GOP label. See, there is still such a thing as brand loyalty in the US of A.

-- Jim