Kazan demo

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Mar 11 10:53:32 PST 1999

[from another list...]

From: LSandraH at aol.com Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 11:29:13 EST To: mlg-ics+ at andrew.cmu.edu Mime-Version: 1.0 Subject: Protest against Elia Kazan lifetime achievement award

The demonstration against the Academy of Motion Pictures's bestowal of a lifetime achievement award to Elia Kazan will take place starting at 3pm outside the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion, on Hope Street in Los Angeles on March 21 at the Academy Awards Ceremony. The issue has received broad media coverage and a lot more support than we initially expected. Ads opposing the award will appear in Variety and Hollywood Reporter on March 18 and 19; we have collected a few thousand dollars in donations for the ads, and hundreds of signatures. A few Hollywood luminaries have signed, but mainly blacklisted artists, their relatives and friends, attorneys in the National Lawyers Guild, and some others. To some people's surprise, the big Hollywood liberals like Warren Beatty refuse to criticize the award. In fact, Robert De Niro and Martin Scorsese, who are friends of one of the protest leaders Abraham Polonsky,are presenting the award. There will be a right-wing counterdemonstration by the Ayn Rand Institute, on the grounds that Elia Kazan is an anticommunist hero who saved America from becoming a soviet state with poverty and gulags, who say being a member of the communist party was like being a Nazi. If you would like to sign your name to the ad, you can fax J.S. Communications at 310-458-6566 today (tomorrow's the deadline) or email Sekler at labridge.com, and please send a donation for the protest if possible to National Committee Against Repressive Legislation(NCARL) at 1313 W. 8th Street #313 LA CA 90017. On the check, you need to put a memo: Kazan protest. If you are in the Southern California region, and would be willing to help build the demonstration by announcements in classes, fliers on campus, bringing your friends, etc. please contact me directly at LSANDRAH at aol.com.We are entering the final week... Thank you very much, Leone Hankey co-chair Committee Against Silence PS-I apologize if this announcement in any way breaks the rules of this list. I haven't had time to review them. If so, I promise not to do it again.....