Just In: Red Oskar's Out

Johannes Schneider Johannes.Schneider at gmx.net
Fri Mar 12 08:48:46 PST 1999

Doug Henwood wrote
>So will the German left (I don't feel quite so justified saying "such as it
>is" in this case as I would with the U.S. left) now fall dutifully in line
>behind Schröder in the interests of pragmatism and "access," on the Clinton
>model?
I dont know how you define the German left. But I dont think it will rally behind Schroeder now. First, besides the SPD there are still the Greens and the PDS as an organizational alternative. No matter what you think of them, they still have some attraction for leftwingers. At the moment it looks that the left inside the SPD is shocked and paralyzed because they lost their idol. Quite opposite to what Doug is suggesting it might be that we will see some opposition to Schroeder, now that Lafontaine is no longer there to keep them checked. As Trittin has been doing inside the Green party, Lafontaines job was to contain the leftwingers and organnize support for her the more right (Schroeder and Fischer) leader. Second and most important, Lafontaines left pose was to some extent a reflections of union pressure on and inside the SPD. You have to keep in mind that the German unions are still intact and never suffered defeats like in the UK during Thatchers time.

>Were the markets right to buy the euro on this news?
Did the fundamentals change in anyway? I dont think so. Lafontaines former wife has been telling he shortened the Dollar yesterday morning. But he covered in the evening. Johannes