Red Oskar Out

John K. Taber jktaber at dhc.net
Sat Mar 13 10:33:47 PST 1999

Dennis R Redmond said:

<<On Fri, 12 Mar 1999, Doug Henwood wrote:

> So will the German left (I don't feel quite so justified saying "such as
it
> is" in this case as I would with the U.S. left) now fall dutifully in line
> behind Schröder in the interests of pragmatism and "access," on the
Clinton
> model? Were the markets right to buy the euro on this news?

Nah. Oskar and Gerhard loathed each other intensely -- a bad case of "Chancellor envy". Apparently there was speculation as early as November in Der Spiegel that Oskar was on his way out, but I never gave such reports much credence. On the bright side, we can now gaze upon the Left-less SPD with the proper admixture of loathing and horror appropriate to the hirelings of Eurocapital -- kind of like the US Democratic Party after McGovern.>>

Something is niggling my brains here. Some time back I quoted FT to the effect that there was a split between Lafontaine and Schroeder. Something to do with Munterfering(sp?) and another person whose name I don't recall. I did have the details garbled, but...

I interpreted the responses to mean that I took the FT too literally, and that the FT had its own axe to grind.

Now, it looks like the FT was right after all, axe or no axe.

Maybe the "enemy" is more sensitive to faults than friends are, and so we should pay attention to enemies?