Post Oskar Scenario

Carl Remick cremick at rlmnet.com
Tue Mar 16 06:44:22 PST 1999

> >There is another thing to be kept in mind with Eichel.
> Actually he is one of
> >Lafontaines boys. What he has been calling for in the past
> was pretty much
> >in line with the SPD party programme ( and thus Lafontaine
> ). When he still
> >was mayor of Kassel he got the nickname the 'Lafontaine of Kassel'.
> >Johannes
>

> I am puzzled by this, while I really appreciate the
> opportunity of checking
> out these events in an international forum.

I'm puzzled by *every* aspect of this story -- for instance, this comment in today's Wall Street Journal: "While the SPD's left wing says business received enough [tax] breaks during the previous conservative government, Mr. Schroeder's coalition partner, the Greens, are calling for even deeper corporate tax cuts. 'As a signal for foreign investors, lower tax cuts are incredibly important,' said Christine Scheel, the Greens' tax expert who heads parliament's finance committee. She said Mr. Lafontaine's 'mistake' was to 'underestimate the effect of tax rates on investment.'"

I don't get this at all. When did opposition to corporate taxation become a pro-environmental position?

Carl Remick